Monday, March 24, 2008

WE GIRL - QUEEN SOPHIA



Often called The Caribbean Queen, Sophia who is from the beautiful island of Jamaica is the second youngest of seven children. That's right 7! Her family unit has been a vital part of her existence, serving as the foundation of her perseverance through life’s many challenges.Sophia resided in Queens, NY for approximately ten years. During her time in NY City, she cultivated her craft as an entertainer, as that has been her passion for as long as she can remember. She attended numerous Theater Arts programs and pounded the pavement of NYC experiencing all that she could get her hands on. Sophia immediately became known for her versatility. At any instance she is able to look anywhere between the age range of sixteen to thirty and can favour an array of ethnicities.

It all started when she accompanied her cousin to an audition for Parent Magazine when she was eleven years old. Sophia tells the story…

“I didn’t even know what an audition was at that age. I just wanted to hang out with my cousin. I remember standing in the hallway trying to peek through the crack of the door to see what was going on. The photographer saw me and came out and said hello. Long story short, I ended up booking the print job for Parents Magazine. I was so excited about knowing that I was going to be in a magazine, but I didn’t want to rub it in my cousin’ face and so I down played it. I didn’t realize that this was the start of my career, but after doing this shoot, I fell in love with being in front of the camera and couldn’t wait for the next shoot.”

Before Sophia was even a teenager she had already booked roles on, Young & The Restless, As the World Turns, GhostWriter and had shot several print campaigns. She said one of her most memorable experiences growing up was working with Lauren Hill and Aretha Franklin when she was fifteen years old. The shoot was for a music video entitled “A Rose is still A Rose.” She explains, “I adored Lauren Hill and her music and so it was quite an honour to work with her. I remember it was the middle of winter and the scenes that we were shooting were outdoors. It was freezing and Lauren was such a sweetheart that she took off her tights and handed them to me to put on. Kind gestures mean a whole lot to me especially in the entertainment business where you will see most people with their nose in the air.”

Devoted to her aspirations, at the age of seventeen Sophia relocated to Los Angeles. She enrolled in acting school and landed roles on ER, Malcolm & Eddie, Moesha, Felicity and City Guys, just to name a few. She moved away from Los Angeles after only being there for three years. When asked why she left she smiled and said, “The Hollywood scene was not my cup of tea, if you know what I mean. I have morals and integrity. When I realized that was being compromised it was not a very difficult decision for me to make. I love acting and modeling, but I love myself even more. I knew that I would be blessed because of my decision regardless of where I decided to move. I wanted to test new waters and so I moved to Atlanta. I love it here.”

Since her transition, Sophia has been featured on Good Day Atlanta three times. She represented Maybelline Cosmetics, Mac Cosmetics and the third time was for FUBU. She has also filmed several commercials including Verizon Wireless, Continental Hotels, WBLS, Spa Sydell, Foot Joy, and Greenville Technical Institute. She has done countless print campaigns. Some of her print jobs includes, Oprah Magazine, Essence Magazine, Health & living Magazine, Atlanta Magazine, Instyle Magazine, American Heart Association, Cartoon Network, Coors Light, National Vision, Russell Athletics, Home Depot, Rooms To Go, Sally’s, Design Essentials and many more. She said one of her most interested shoots was for a cartoon on the Cartoon Network called “Frisky Dingo.” “They had to shoot me doing about fifty different facial expressions. Then they transformed my face to make it look animated. The charter they used my face for is a woman called “Mercy Moreno.”

Sophia has been quite busy, but what you may not know about her is that she is a business woman. “I love the entertainment industry, but there’s so much more to me.” She is the owner a successful Trucking Company in Georgia called Yashar Trucking. She laughs and says, “No, I don’t drive the trucks!” She is involved in a number of different investments and is also an owner of a Travel Agency. I asked Sophia what she does with the little free time she does have. “Well, I love music, especially reggae of course. I even studied Audio Engineering in school for a while. But no one told me math was involved and I really dislike math and so the rest is history!!! I also love baseball. I enjoy travelling to different games and leagues. I am definitely still on the grind and you will be seeing a lot more of me, but I am also enjoying life with the amazing family that I have been blessed with.



Management: Morena Entertainment, LLC / Bookings: models@morenaent.com

No comments: