Tuesday, December 11, 2007

WE SPOTLIGHT - THE BARON

Legend to celebrate a great year with family and friends in Toronto

By Stacey Marie Robinson


It’s been a busy year for the mighty Baron. Since the beginning of 2007, he’s been on the road every weekend, traveling, performing for sold-out crowds, and making sure his fans are musically fulfilled as he keeps the vibes going well into the third decade of his career.

“It’s been very hectic,” said Baron, also known as Timothy Watkins, “since the year start, I’m on the street.”

No matter where he goes, he is greeted with warmth, and hundreds of fans who look forward to hearing his classics, and anticipate his new releases. This New Year’s Eve, he will perform a full 3.5 hour show in Toronto at the Lion Gate Lounge (1957 Kennedy at Progress) backed by Ossie Gurley & De Relatives.

He grew up in Bamboo Village, La Romain, South Trinidad, but Baron is no stranger to Toronto, Canada. He spent three years living in Toronto, and is looking forward to seeing his many friends, family – including his son Richie – and his loyal fans when he returns at the end of the month.

Fans can look forward to hearing favourites at the Baron New Year’s Eve Ball like “This Melody Sweet,” “Doh Rock it So,” “Somebody,” “Buss Up Shut” and his numerous parang hits including, “It’s Christmas.”

Many of Baron’s supporters have grown with him over the years; he’s been present in spirit for holiday celebrations, romantic moments, childhood memories, big shows, family basement parties, and his voice has filled their homes and lives for decades. This calypso crooner, also dubbed the “Sweet Soca Man” can sing anything from traditional Trinidadian songs, to American classics.

His beautiful voice and golden charm keep his career fresh and progressive. Along with touring the world, making frequent stops in fan favourites like Miami, New York, and the Caribbean islands, Baron has also been working hard in the studio. While his next album will not be released until 2008, he is preparing a couple of tracks to give to fans before the end of the year.

“I have two songs that I’m trying to finish, so I can get them prepared and have them played by the DJs on the radio so they can hear it before the album comes out,” said Baron. “Two songs for the season, until the CD is completed, so fans will have an idea of what it’s about, and what it’s like.”

Some artists get to a point in their careers where their accomplishments have been so abundant that even if they never write a new song again, they can still travel, perform the old hits, and entertain their audiences with nostalgic melodies. Baron, however, chooses to keep the momentum going and is dedicated to making new music on a regular basis, keeping him on top of his game.

“This is something that I have loved since I was a child. I grew up in it, singing in church, and singing here and there, and I’ve entertained the world. In another twenty years, once God gives me the health and strength, I’ll still be singing. I’ll still be performing.”

Tickets to hear Baron sing on New Year’s Eve are available for $30 at all Nicey’s locations, and various ticket outlets around the city. Sprinkled in gold and bundled up for the season, Baron looks forward to reuniting with those in Toronto who have helped to make his career a success.
“I love Toronto in the summer, but I can’t take the cold so I run back home. But I love Toronto, period,” Baron said. “I hope that when I get there I will be able to do the best I can, which I always try to do. I hope to see each and everyone of you there on Ole Year’s Night.”

No comments: